Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Do YOU do this?...

In my trip to Eugene, I had time to observe many people/personalities in various settings. Noticing these people I came up with various things:

  • Conversation skills: You ever asked a stranger a question? I asked a person standing in line "Is this the Flight 716 to Denver?" You would have thought I asked the gentlemen to recite the quadratic formula for me. He didn't look at me in the eye, muttered, so I had to ask him twice what he said to finally understand him. My first thought was, Do I do this?
  • Public (cell) Speaking: Noticed two main things. 1) People have no problem explaining all their personal problems/issues/thoughts to the world. I couldn't do that. 2) Volume level. I would be embarrassed to speak as loud as some of these people talking about personal stuff. Watch for this, and watch the people AROUND the person talking. They feel more uncomfortable than the person talking. My first thought was, Do I do this?
  • Doing a favor for a stranger: Melynda and I were waiting in line for the shuttle to Autzen Stadium. They charge a fee if you don't have a bus pass or student ID. Obviously I had neither and was ready to pay the fee. As we were approaching the bus, a nice gentleman from behind me asked if I had a bus pass. After I told him no, he responded by offering me his pass so I could save the money. Also, I was in Albertson's buying some items I couldn't travel with, and the cashier asked me if I had a "Discount card" with me. Responded to him that I was visiting, he then rang a generic card thru the register, saving me $2.20. My first thought after each circumstance was, Do I do this?
  • The airline ticket taker at United was extremely abrasive and tried to let EVERYONE know that she was in charge. Raising her voice, being very demonstrative(sp) in her body language. Short answers, bad sense of humor. Then I asked myself, who am I to judge the character of her. (Although I think I had a pretty good assessment of her). So I asked myself three things, referring to the ticket counter 1) Do I act like her when I am in charge? 2) Do I judge based off what I believe is right, or standard. 3) What is "standard" and do I know it?

There are a million other examples, some of which I may post later.

As you can tell, I had time to think and observe many attitudes/behaviors/personalities of people. I really enjoyed doing such.

I tried to be very introspective with everything I witnessed. Whenever you see a behavior that makes you take notice, good or bad, maybe you should ask yourself, Do I do this? Then implement/discard it to make yourself the best possible person.

No comments: