Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My friend Dennis...

Yesterday was the first day of basketball practice/try-outs here at the High School. It went like a first day normally does, some good, some bad, some pretty good, some pretty bad. We are working hard, and I will certainly talk about our guys more as the week goes on...but I have to share this story...
Dennis is a custodian here at the High School, a man in his mid to upper 40's is my best guess. Dennis works from 8:30-4:30 everyday, doing the custodial type of work. He also spends about every weekend, occasionally skipping a few, to go back to Chilicothe, Missouri to tend to his fathers house, since his father is ill.
I always bring the KC star to work. I will finish it by the time I have to move, and Dennis always would glance at it as I had it on my table. Eventually, I decided when I moved areas, I would just leave the paper in Dennis' area where he keeps his cup/jacket/keys. Still to this day, Dennis will thank me for leaving the paper for him to read, it always is a good part of my day.
Here is one that will stick with me though: Yesterday Dennis was sweeping the floor after lunch and there was a bottle cap that he picked up about 20 feet from the nearest trash can, Dennis threw it, and hit the trash can dead in the middle. I joked with him that we have try-outs today, and he shoots it better than any of our guys. Dennis then went up to his boss, and jokingly mentioned he was going to have to be off by 3 today, b/c "Chris invited me to tryouts". We all shared a laugh. Then during practice, about 4:30, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around, and there is Dennis' smiling, saying, "Hey, I am here". I died laughing. Dennis had just gotten off, and was getting ready to leave, but first came through the gym to give me a hard time.
I think it's a story that is better in person, better if you witness it, but I hope by writing it some of you get a picture of it.
Have a wonderful day...!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, you're "selling hope" too, Coach. :) :)