Thursday, September 21, 2006

Lifestyle...

As I sat in the bball clinic last night in KC, I realized how much of a lifestyle difference there is between the D-1 game, and the High School game. Having expierenced it at the D-1 level, I've seen all the time demands, public appearances, private pressures, that are different from the high school game. In the HS game you still have player on/off court problems, parent problems, etc. It's a lifestyle choice though.
Without going into detail, I had conversation with a friend last night who is stressed and overwhelemed. They just feel a constant pressure to work. That is all they are doing, is working and working towards working, and thinking about working and when am I going to be working...
I remember being in HS and being in love with wanting to be the next Roy Williams. I wanted to coach in College worse than anyone could ever imagine. I was always asking people about how to break in, what to do, etc. Then I got to the point where I would ask all of my coaches why they didnt coach in college. The prevailing answer that I got from all of them was the lifestyle. At the time, I thought that was the most silly thing in the world, how could that lifestyle not be the greatest thing ever? Having been through it for 3 years, which I LOVED, I realize all the positives and the negatives. I loved sitting in front of 16,000 people on Wednesday Saturdays for 3 years.
Basically what I'm saying is what I heard President Bush say when I heard him speak at KSU in January. "Priorities give us perspective".
Something to think about...
Almost friday!!

No comments: