Monday, September 25, 2006

Proud of our guys...

Our Fall league continued on Sunday, which we won by 8 in the first game, and by 47 in the second game, although that doesnt tell the real story...
I've OFTEN heard coaches talk about how the team "takes on the personality of their coach". Although I am new, and it's only fall league, I have tried to instill certain things that are in my personality into the kids.
Those of you reading this, know how much I like to win, more importantly, hate to lose. Having said that, we played a team in our second game last night and were up 47-20 at half. I told the guys about how we have something to play for, b/c we need to get better. They responded well, executed well, and outscored them 33-13 in the first ten minutes of the second half. Then, b/c of our aggresive, never give in attitude, the opponent started to play cheap, and committ hard, cheap, fouls. The official at one point warned he would stop the game if it continued. Well, it did, and after a hard foul the game was declared over and we had scored 80 points while limiting the opponent to 33 in only 30 minutes, and a running clock.
I equate it to a boxer trying to stay in a fight by head butting, and hitting below the belt, until finally the referee calls it because the boxer has no opportunity to win, and has been beaten. It was a great feeling, and needless to say, I was extremely proud of our guys.
Enjoy your Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was there and witnessed a TKO in basketball. Many years ago, we SHUT-OUT a team, score 33-0 at half (I bet you remember)so the game was called. What I got to see Sunday was another 1st. Although only 2nd week, these guys looked and played like they wanted to be there. I look forward to an exciting season.

NLF (New Liberty Fan)